We decided that one of the bedrooms needed to be an office, since Mikey will be working a lot more from home when we finally move down to The New Place. Since I had carte blanche on the wall color, I decided a nice bright yellow would be cheery. We have enjoyed the pale blue ceilings in the house in town, so I also wanted to paint the ceilings blue in the DWT for that 'I'm-still-outdoors' vibe. The road to a really, really bright hell is paved with good intentions.
1. Unsealed popcorn ceilings slurp up a lot of paint. Two gallons for this 10' x 12' room, to be exact. $40+ for one ceiling.
2. It is not possible for a normal person to paint a nice straight, clean line where a wall and a popcorn ceiling meet. Be prepared to accept less than perfection when using two different paint colors.
3. Resist that urge to go with a yellow with a tiny little bit of green in it. It will be brighter and greener than you think.
4. Bright blue ceiling + bright yellow walls = weirdly greenish room
5. Even a cow spotted window shade cannot help.